RustyBucket's 1972 Scout II Revitalization

Start a thread of your build so we can follow along.
rustybucket
Site Admin

RustyBucket's 1972 Scout II Revitalization

Post by rustybucket » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:03 pm

IMAG0160.JPG
IMAG0160.JPG (49.02 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
Here we go again.  I just can’t seem to help myself.A few months ago my son and I went past a local salvage yard, and there was a gold Scout II sitting in the yard waiting to be crushed.  Well you know that couldn’t happen, so my son Brad stopped in later to check on it.  

It was a 1972 Scout II right hand drive.We assume it was initially purchased by a local rural mail carrier.  The salvage yard owner said he had the title so we talked a little longer and he mentioned he had a 1973 Scout in another building.  My son likes the 73’s better, so we went and took a look at it.

It wasn’t in that bad a shape, so after a little dickering, the guy said “Why don’t you buy them both”.  To which we said “What kind of deal can you make us?”. 
Long story short, Brad ended up with both of them at a reasonable price.  That was back in December.  We let them sit there until January  and one nice Friday afternoon we went out and drug them back through the snow to our building.The ’72 was in better shape then the ’73 and Brad already has a 3/4 ton pickup project he is working on, so there they sit.  About two weeks ago I walked by the ’72 and thought “You know it would be fun to get that thing running and just tool around in it”.  Well Brad was more than eager to get it off his hands and after a little talking to the wife, the title is now in my name.

So I put some pictures of it in the gallery taken after we started some disassembly.  My intention is not to do a frame off restoration, but to kind of fix it as I go along.  We talked to the son of the Previous Owner and he told us that he drove it for a day after his father’s death and the transmission went out.  To that end we have the TF 727 half out of it now.  One of the  PO’s had done some weird exhaust work on it and I have to cut that out before I can wrangle it and the transfer case out.So I will post some pictures as I go along and maybe do a tech article or two on it.Stay tuned, it will most likely be a fun ride!

RustyBucket

IMAG0167.JPG
IMAG0167.JPG (54.98 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
IMAG0164.JPG
IMAG0164.JPG (53.35 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
IMAG0166.JPG
IMAG0166.JPG (57.15 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
IMAG0165.JPG
IMAG0165.JPG (47.49 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
IMAG0159.JPG
IMAG0159.JPG (52.64 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
IMAG0161.JPG
IMAG0161.JPG (50.54 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
IMAG0162.JPG
IMAG0162.JPG (42.2 KiB) Viewed 31560 times
IMAG0163.JPG
IMAG0163.JPG (45.8 KiB) Viewed 31560 times

rustybucket
Site Admin

Re: RustyBucket's 1972 Scout II Revitalization

Post by rustybucket » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:07 pm

It has been a long while since I did an update on the Scout II Project.  That is because until the last month there hasn’t been any work done on it.  Various work and family related projects took over.  But now we are back hard on it.

First I decided to call her Heidi after Heidi Montag.  By the time I get done with her, she is going to have as many operations performed on her as the her namesake had done in one day. 🙂

Now for the update.  As you can see from the picture below, I have the TF 727 cleaned up, rebuilt and ready to go back into the old girl.  I have to admit, I didn’t take as many pictures as I should have, but I wanted to get some work done.Besides, if you want to see some detailed instructions on how to do this, there are three sources that already have it gone over in better detail than I can give you. 
2012-08-23_20-06-20_5.jpg
2012-08-23_20-06-20_5.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 31558 times
To do this job you need to look at these three resources:
  1. Carl Munroe’s book on the TF 727.  
  2. The Scout II Service Manual.
  3. The IHONLYNORTH forum’s Torqueflite 727 Guapo.
If you can’t find the answer there, let me know and I will try to help.  I went ahead and installed the new vent’s in the transmission and the Transgo TF-2 shift kit.

Now it’s off to the Dana 20 Transfer Case.

rustybucket
Site Admin

Post by rustybucket » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:09 pm

OK, it’s been way to long since we added anything to this blog.

So we finally go to a point that we can start working on this again.

Here is a video of where we are at this point.  Hopefully soon we will have an update on some additional progress.

rustybucket
Site Admin

Post by rustybucket » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:02 pm

Here is a video of Brad and I starting tear down of the 304 and doing a leak test on it.

rustybucket
Site Admin

Post by rustybucket » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:12 pm

This video shows us finishing the tear down of the 304 and taking it to the machine shop.

rustybucket
Site Admin

Post by rustybucket » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:43 pm

I haven't posted for awhile again.  Had several other projects come up again.  I am still going to finish this one.

Right now I am busy powder coating parts to put on the engine and then I am going to finish reassemling the engine.  The machine work has been done on it for a couple of years now.  I have the crank, pistons and cam shaft in and the heads on.  I just have to torque them down.

I will post an update and some pictures as soon as I can.